Thursday, June 5, 2014

Gospel Reflection: John 21:15-19




15 After they had eaten, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these others do?”
“Yes, Lord,” he answered, “you know that I love you.”
Jesus said to him, “Take care of my lambs.”
16 A second time Jesus said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
“Yes, Lord,” he answered, “you know that I love you.”
Jesus said to him, “Take care of my sheep.”
17 A third time Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
Peter became sad because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” and so he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you!”
Jesus said to him, “Take care of my sheep.
18 I am telling you the truth: when you were young, you used to get ready and go anywhere you wanted to; but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands and someone else will tie you up and take you where you don't want to go.”
19 (In saying this, Jesus was indicating the way in which Peter would die and bring glory to God.) Then Jesus said to him, “Follow me!”

Reflection:

Jesus asked Simon Peter three times if he loves Him even if He already knows the answer. On the third time, Peter became sad. Maybe he thinks that God doesn’t trust him.
We, the people of the Lord should deal with Him that way. If we ask something from God, we should do it as many as we can to prove to God that we really trust and believe that He will grant our wish. It is also a sign that there’s no one that can help us except Him.
Just like in praying the Holy Rosary, we are making 53 Hail Mary’s and 6 Our Fathers. It is a little bit tiring but if you really trust God, tiring is not an option to cease on praying. Not all prayers are heard or granted. It’s just that maybe we don’t really need it. Not everything we want is what we need. Often times, what we want is extravagance. God gives priority on things we need most. You may not recognize His blessings easily. Stop for a moment, take a deep breath and think of all the blessings God is giving you even if you did not ask for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment